Recently I read on OMG!UBUNTU! that a tech contributor from online magazine Forbes.com had ditched Windows and tried using Ubuntu for two weeks, the guy did try another Linux distribution first but dropped it since the installation ‘couldn’t find a drive to install the OS to.‘. He had the same issues as me with Windows even though he had used it for decades. After the experience he will continue using Ubuntu for his tech writing: ‘ this is absolutely my new daily driver for writing, working, communicating, browsing and media consumption‘. Read the article by Following this link.
As a conclusion on my part, I still do not see that Windows is improving as It is the company OS at the business where I work. In fact it has gotten worse with updates and all. Linux however stays the same and is fast and pleasant to work with, I have never once had a nagging doubt after ditching Windows. The advantages you get by dropping the stagnating OS are many, amongst a lot of other things not mentioned here, you will get a system that:
– Always boots in 30 seconds or less
– Always shuts down in 5 seconds or less
– Not forces you to update, but allows you to select when
– Not degrades in performance over time
– Has a free office suite (Libre Office)
– Not has a slowly corrupting registry
– Runs significantly faster than Windows
– Not has an ugly tile based user Interface, who ever made that brain fart I do not know…
Note that this is not a commercial, I am not getting money from a sponsor to say this, I am simply recommending a good product.
I know Microsoft is trying with a valiant effort to make the company look like an open source advocate, but I am not convinced. And I am not getting money to not recommend them either.. 🙂